A challenge and a unique experience – do your M.Sc thesis at Semiconductor Energy Laboratories (SEL) sponsored by Dr. Shunpei Yamazaki – the top patent holder in world!!
Swedish senior students of technology are invited to apply for a very generous scholarship from frontier technology laboratory SEL through the Sweden-Japan Foundation. The scholarship includes airfare to and from Japan, living cost and a salary in accordance with SEL regulations. Duration: 6 months. Work place: SEL laboratories in Atsugi, Kanagawa, 1 hour by train from Tokyo.
The areas offered for M.Sc. thesis (exjobb) for Autumn 2022 and Spring 2023 were the following (scholarships already assigned):
- Battery: Examination of fabrication conditions (on-site only) of high-Ni LiNi1–x–yCoxMnyO2 (NCM) electrodes and data analysis (on-site or on-line)
- Organic electroluminescent (EL) materials: Analysis of sublimation temperatures of organic EL materials using artificial intelligence and machine learning (onsite or online internship)
- LSI process: Optimization of oxide semiconductor materials and device structures using machine learning (onsite internship
Next Application Period, i.e. Autumn 2023 / Spring 2024
- Application period open: March 15th, 2023
- First Screening: June 1st, 2023
- Second Screening: October 15th, 2023
- Details of research areas will be announced in due time before the application period
Previous Internships: Internship Graduate Projects
Semiconductor Energy Laboratory Co., Ltd. is a very unique company, engaged in creative R&D and patenting novel technologies. Profit from the obtained patent is invested to further R&D in the intellectual propery creation cycle of SEL. Over the years, SEL has developed some of the world’s top class technology through research of low-temperature crystalline (continuous grain silicon (CGS) transistors and crystalline oxide semiconductor transistors and possess a great number of fundamental patents in this field. Read more at SEL Website
Dr. Shunpei Yamazaki, owner of SEL, founded the company in 1980. He holds over 17,000 patents (as of October 2021) and renewed his own Guinness World Record in 2016. He has received several awards and decorations in Japan and abroad for his research and innovations.
SEL provides several evening courses and sports activities, for example, tennis, soccer, basketball, baseball, badminton, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, etc.